Friday, March 16, 2012

Eat: Top 5 Pizzas in Montreal

"Pizza! Pizza! In my tummy, me so hungie, me so hungie!!"
 - Britta Perry,  Community 



There are not many things that I love more than pizza. I literally do a happy dance when pizza appears in front of me. Recently, in an attempt to cut calories, I've cut back on ordering pizza. I've had delivery once in the last 6 weeks and I have to admit that my pizza lust is in full force. In honour of my insatiable desire for 'za, I have compiled my list of top 5 Pizza's in Montreal. Nothing encourages disagreement like debating over the best pizza in town, so, away we go!

 Top 5...favourite Pizzas in Montreal:

A classic pizzeria in the McGill ghetto, Amelio's is aimed towards the student crowd. They have a set menu that people seem to love if the long lines ups at lunch and dinner are any indication. The prices have gone up a tad over the years but I still believe the pizza (and pasta for that matter) are well worth it. I've seen many people order the popular 4 cheese pizza, but my personal favourite is the vegetarian. Their crust leans towards the classic hand tossed variety, but it's both chewy and buttery (so flaky!). The sauce is ample and the tasty veggies (eggplant, mushrooms, green peppers) are cooked instead of raw. I don't even like eggplant and mushrooms but I love them on this pizza. They put a good amount of high quality cheese without going overboard. Not to mention it's a BYOW!

My current favourite, B&M is an NDG institution. People seem to love it or hate it. I use to think they went too heavy on the cheese but I have either gotten use to it or learned to love it that way. They have to have the heaviest pizza in town, it's so weighed down by cheese! The crust is hand tossed, their sauce is awesome, with a nice amount of black pepper. I usually order all dressed, no mushroom and the quality of the pepperoni is unbelievable. It's a greasy, juicy pizza that should not be missed. It's the stuff of pizza fantasy!

When I lived in the West Island I was forced to try new pizzeria's in order to fill my pizza need. Upon the advice of many westies, I ordered my first pizza from Gigi's, a west island institution.  I could not believe how horrible I thought it was! I'm gonna get a lot of flak for that from the Gigi die-hards, but I'll take the risk and call out bad pizza when I taste it!!. A few pizza-barren months later, a friend came over for Superbowl and suggested Calzone pizza and the rest is history. Calzone is not only really affordable but also has great service from the drivers and the phone agents. My personal favourite is the cheese, tomato sauce, chicken, caramelized onion and jalapeno. These flavours shouldn't go together but they are the perfect match! During my veg days, a caramelized onion pizza really did the trick. Sometimes I lament not being in the west island to enjoy Calzone pizza, so I really have to get myself invited over to a WI friend's place soon so I can order some!

This was my favourite pizza spot for years, I use to beg my parents to order it for me when I visited during the time when I lived in a different neighbourhood. It's another much debated NDG pizzeria, either loved or hated by locals on ChowHound. There are numerous pizza places named Pendeli's in Montreal but don't get them confused, this one has a unique trademark; they shave the pepperoni into strips and cook it on top of the pizza. Result equals delicousness! Their pizza is hand tossed, and my favourite is the all dressed, no mushroom. Some people claim that the sauce is bland, but I never thought so until the last time I ordered. I'll have to do another taste test to be sure. This one's a greasy spoon pizza, to be sure.

All kidding aside, I really do love my homemade pizza but I'll leave it out of this list and cover it in a separate recipe post. On a slightly different pizza tangent, I would say that number 5 on my list is a tie between a bakery and a delicatessen for cold tomato sauce pizza. I have an NDG allegiance to Boulangerie Patisserie N.D.G for their classic cold tomato sauce pizza. The sauce is plentiful and the dough is thick, and crust is pleasantly chewy. Cavallero's does a great version of this as well but also has a version with raw olive oil infused garlic that just makes me squeal with joy. Oh hell yeah!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment