Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Shop: J. Crew colours & prints to brighten a rainy day, plus galoshes!

It's a dreary day in Montreal, skies are grey and the rain seems relentless. Add the recent daylight savings change and I would say my seasonal affective disorder crankiness has increased by 20%. In an attempt to brighten up my day, I decided to wear a few brightly coloured J. Crew items that rarely get worn in the darker days of winter. This spring is supposedly going to be all about bright hues, so I wanted to ease into it.

I started with the J. Crew perfect shirt in Royal Paisley, my absolute favourite pattern from J. Crew. So much so, that I bought both the perfect shirt and the No. 2 pencil skirt in the same pattern. They advertised that you could wear them together; it's called a hookup when you wear more than one piece in the same pattern. So far I haven't tried it, I haven't taken to the idea and if I don't feel like I own it, I know I won't look confident wearing it.

Royal Paisley Perfect Shirt. Photo courtesy of J. Crew
A 'Hook-up'. Photo courtesy of J. Crew
 The button-up has teal in the pattern so I decided to combined it with the J. Crew No. 2 Pencil skirt in Teal. I love the colour, its bright and unapologetic. I added some peep toe heels and a silver Tiffany beads necklace and voila, office chic. Or nerdy office girl, however you want to slice it.


Teal No. 2 Pencil Skirt. Photo courtesy of J. Crew
Someone asked me if my outfit had anything to do with St. Patrick's day or something 'Irish'. St. Patty's day is a few days away, which might explain the question, but I would have to blame it on the lack of colourful clothing used throughout the winter. I guess the sudden change must have seemed contingent on some event (it sure is, Spring!) So....No bright pinks or baby blues near Easter and I should be able to avoid such comparisons again.

In addition, I was thrilled to pull out my galoshes this morning! There's just something about the pure abandon of rain boots, the ability to slosh through puddles care-free like when you were a child. They are also a nice reminder that we are finally headed into spring! Mine are by Capelli New York, and are black with a wedge in a purple paisley/floral print. They do clash with my shirt but when I'm outside my outfit is covered up with a black wool coat, so no one will notice my faux pas. Can't wait to leave the office and stomp in a few puddles on the way home!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment