Follow the recipe, which can be found here. I made some modifications based on reviews/comments on the site:
- To amp up the flavour, add double cumin and allspice. Worth it.
- Add cumin and allspice while the onions cook, to get the most flavour out of the spices.
- Add salt & pepper (to taste) while the onions cook. The recipe does not emphasize this but both ingredients are needed to bring out the other flavours.
- If you don't like a sweet soup, use half the honey suggested. You will still taste it but it will be a more savoury soup, which is my preference.
- I forgot about adding the yogurt until after I served the soup. I didn't bother with it after I tasted the soup however, it really didn't need anything more.
- The recipe (to me, anyway) makes a small batch. Maybe 3 meal servings (see pic below). I'd consider making a double batch next time.