Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Halloween: Pumpkinausaurus

Using your best guess, would you say this pumpkin was decorated by a 6 year old child or a 34 year old woman? I believe that this pumpkin stood a better chance of looking like a dinosaur had it actually been decorated by a 6 year, but alas, it was my artistic handiwork. Look upon my Pumpkin, ye mighty, and despair!

We picked up this adorable Martha Stewart Dinosaur kit at Target, thinking that we could entertain my nephew while he was visiting our place for the afternoon. It was such a romantic idea, going out to select a pumpkin and decorating it together on a cool autumn day. Picturesque, right? But once my nephew realized that we would not be stabbing any pumpkins with knives, we realized how little interest this 6 year old actually has in pumpkin decorating (ah yes, he IS my nephew). I managed to coax him to paint the pumpkin this lovely shade of green before he managed to convince Marc to turn on the xBox and leave me holding the paint brush.

A couple days later I decided that I might as well finish it myself so I could present it to him as a Halloween decoration for his front step. I sat down with a steaming cup of coffee and adhered the foam stickers. I felt like I was robbing the kid of the opportunity but at the same time I was acutely aware that he was uninterested AND that my arts & crafts skills were about the perfect match for a  5+ and over pumpkin decorating kit. There were a few technical glitches; the paint stuck to the glue of the sticker and came right off the pumpkin leaving big orange spots, and the heat from our base heaters seemed to have dried out the glue causing Dino's head to fall off more than once! Poor Dino. I'm not sure he's going to make it to my brothers place in one piece, so here's a picture for posterity.

No comments:

Post a Comment