Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Read: Let's Pretend This Never Happened: (A Mostly True Memoir)

I understand the saying "don't judge a book by it's cover" but I must admit that if the cover has a cute animal on it, I am all about prejudgement. The minute I saw this book by Jenny Lawson, I wanted it. A mouse magician? Eeeek, toooo cute!! I am willfully ignoring the fact that he is a product of taxidermy; in my mind he is just a regular mouse that prefers dapper attire over walking around naked and who doesn't mind posing for a photo or two. Right?? That's my story and I'm sticking with it. At first I tried to show some willpower and resist buying this based book purely on it's 'cuteness' but after someone with similar reading taste mentioned how funny it was, I was intrigued enough to download it. I started reading it last night and although it's very preliminary, I think I will enjoy it. Perhaps it is because I find that I have a similar writing style to hers (i.e. lots of rambling and side notes!).



I will be travelling for work next week and I predict more than a few hours stranded in one airport or another (and that's best case scenario...boy, do I love layovers). In an attempt to make this time more palatable, I filled up my Kobo with some extra reading material. In addition to "Let's Pretend This Never Happened", I chose two other books that I have wanted to read for a little while now; "The Sense of an Ending" by Julian Barnes and "Cloud Atlas" by David Mitchell. This will be a great opportunity for me to catch up on my reading. With work travel I have a tendency to split what free time I have between being a proper tourist, using the hotel gym/pool and reading. I think I will be well equipped with some great reading material if any of the reviews are accurate. Thankfully the Kobo has a great battery life!


No comments:

Post a Comment