Sunday, December 2, 2012

Eat: Texas Style

I'm off to Fort Worth, Texas for a business trip. Like I always do before a trip, I am researching the hell out of my destination so I know what restaurants, shops and sites to visit while I'm there. I use to be pretty anal retentive about travel, always needing to have a plan of action or  schedule but I think I've mellowed out in my old age. Despite the fact I am pretty detailed in my research, I'm pretty laissez-faire once I get where I'm going. I like to know my options, but my itinerary isn't set in stone.

Since I'm only there from Monday to Friday, I'm out of luck with regards to entertainment or events. I checked out the Dallas Mavericks and Dallas Cowboys schedules to no avail, and I didn't come across any concerts of interest. Bright side: a lot of money saved. It also leaves me with more leisure time to walk around and enjoy the restaurant/bar scene. In any case, I tend to think of dinner out as a destination in and of itself. Some people dislike eating out alone but I don't do it often enough for the novelty to have worn off.

It's been quite the learning experience researching restaurants in Forth Worth. I think I gained weight just looking at the menus. It's a short visit so I wanted to focus on local specialties, namely BBQ, Steakhouse, Southwestern and Tex-Mex. How fortuitous that I am not a vegetarian at this stage in my life since Fort Worth seems like a carnivore's dream. I'm not a huge steak fan but considering the location, I will definitely partake. Truth be told, I am far more interested in BBQ fare like pulled pork or ribs. I am especially psyched to get my hands on some of the delicious BBQ side dishes like roasted ears of corn, pinto beans, black eyed peas, BBQ baked beans, and chili cheese fries. Heh, so much for eating light before the holiday season starts; I guess everything IS bigger in Texas, even Heather!

No comments:

Post a Comment